So the other day, I wrote about what the ALP could learn from Tony Abbott about ministerial portfolios. In conversation with a few people afterwards, they wondered what my ideal ministry could look like. Let’s see what I — a conservative — can cook up.
- Minister for the Status of Women
- Minister for the Promotion of Reconciliation
- Special Minister of State for Information (ABS, AIHW, AIC, ANAO, Ombudsman, FoI, Government Intellectual Property, Archives)
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister (Australian Public Service Commission)
- Minister for Finance
- Parliamentary Secretary for Superannuation
Minister for Foreign Affairs
- Minister for Trade
- Minister for Aid
- Minister for Immigration
- Parliamentary Secretary for Regional Protection Arrangements and Humanitarian Relations
- Parliamentary Secretary for Tourism
Minister for Culture, Humanities, and the Arts
- Parliamentary Secretary for Multicultural Affairs
This is the ministry which would deal with the ABC, SBS, ACMA, and my incredibly Orwellian and anti-freedom Press Regulator. Also, the Sport portfolio would be disintegrated and absorbed back into this ministry.
Minister for Indigenous Affairs
- Parliamentary Secretary for the Protection of Indigenous Environmental, Cultural, and Scientific Knowledge
- Parliamentary Secretary for Justice
- Parliamentary Secretary for National Security
Minister for Research
- Parliamentary Secretary for Cyber Policy
Minister for Health
- Minister for Indigenous Health
- Parliamentary Secretary for Aged Care and Alzheimer’s Disease
- Parliamentary Secretary for Primary Health Care and Preventative Health
Minister for Agriculture
- Minister for Regional Development
- Parliamentary Secretary for Environmental Protection
- Parliamentary Secretary for Natural Disaster Response
- Parliamentary Secretary for Animal Welfare
Minister for Industry
- Minister for Infrastructure and the National Broadband Network [EDIT: I missed this one. See comments.]
- Parliamentary Secretary for Small Business
- Parliamentary Secretary for Transport
Minister for Defence
- Parliamentary Secretary for Veterans’ Affairs
- Parliamentary Secretary for Defence Research
Minister for Education
- Parliamentary Secretary for Vocational Education
- Parliamentary Secretary for Early Childhood Education (In my glorious Marktopia, I abolish child care services and expand primary school services to start earlier)
Minister for Human Welfare
- Parliamentary Secretary for Employment
From the looks of it, my Cabinet would shrink but my outer ministry and parliamentary secretary positions would increase. I might have the balance of Outer Ministry positions incorrect. For the life of me, I couldn’t remember the rules constraining the composition.
Immigration would drop out of the Cabinet for the first time since Arthur Calwell, but this would bring us into line with other similar countries. Further, I’ve split off the asylum seeker issue from immigration so that it can be considered from a broader perspective than just visas and border control. This isn’t such a weird idea — the Foreign Minister is already the custodian of the Bali Process.
I’ve also dropped Finance down out of the Cabinet with a view to abolishing the Department of Finance completely and having it absorbed into Treasury. Meanwhile, I’ve bumped the ABS out of the Treasurer’s portfolio and combined it with the other ‘Information Agencies’ in a portfolio under the Prime Minister.
Did I mention that I’ve abolished Sport? Now we have the much better ‘CHA’ portfolio. Having a Humanities portfolio would also promote the sector and stop it from always being in constant competition with the sciences (which would sit under the Research portfolio). There’s a better link between Humanities and the Arts portfolios which is routinely overlooked by successive governments.
Anything I’ve missed? Come at me, haters.
- Quick Post: What can the ALP learn from the Coalition about ministries? #auspol (onlythesangfroid.wordpress.com)
- Australia’s Political System 101 (The New Ministry) (peoplewithanswers.wordpress.com)
- Commonwealth agencies to be cut by Abbott Government #Auspol (auspolwatch.wordpress.com)